Huron farm sets record in SD corn yield contest
The elusive 300-bushel-per-acre corn barrier has been broken.
Riverside Farms of Huron has set a South Dakota record with a corn yield above 308 bushels per acre, the top mark in a contest sponsored by the South Dakota Corn Growers Association in conjunction with the 2014 National Corn Yield Contest.
Bennett Waldner submitted the contest entry in the irrigated-ground category on behalf of Riverside Farms. South Dakota had 119 entries in four categories this year.
Corn yields have grown consistently in recent decades and 300 bushels became a contest target for South Dakota farmers. Winning yields crept closer to that elusive mark and topped 290 bushels-per-acre in recent years.
Here’s a list of winners, including seed brand, hybrid and yield.
RANK/NAME/CITY BRAND HYBRID YIELD
- Scott McKee, Hawarden, Iowa Pioneer P1151AM 286.81
- Huron Colony, Huron Dekalb DKC52-61RIB 285.11
- Dean Bosse, Elk Point Pioneer P1151AM 254.54
- Nathan Hoeft, Stratford Dekalb DKC48-12RIB 261.49
- Swisher Inc., Groton Croplan 4099SS/RIB 244.41
- Swisher Inc. Groton Renk RK568VT3P 235.05
- Riverside Farms, Huron Pioneer P0533AM1 308.92
- Breding Farms, Chamberlain Dekalb DKC62-97RIB 279.95
- Breding Farms, Chamberlain Dekalb DKC58-89RIB 276.71
- Riverside Farms, Huron Pioneer P0533AM1 289.19
- Breding Farms, Chamberlain Dekalb DKC63-33RIB 261.68
- Lower Brule Farms, Pukwana Dekalb DKC59-90RIB 260.25
To view the complete list of 2014 Corn Yield Contest winners in South Dakota by district and class, click on the link below.