The South Dakota Corn Growers Association held their 23rd Annual Meeting on Jan. 10, attracting over 1,000 ag producers, legislative leaders and allied industry to the daylong event.
Attendees took in advice for 2009 from thought leaders in marketing, biotechnology and future trends during seminars offered throughout the day. South Dakota Gov. Mike Rounds addressed the crowd as the Luncheon speaker, encouraging producers and touting value-added development as tremendous opportunities in the state.
Tom Buis, president of the National Farmers Union (NFU) delivered the keynote address at the evening event, during which the SDCGA honored several leaders during the banquet program. The following awards were given to individuals recognized by the SDCGA for their contributions to the industry over the past year:
Retiring Presidential Award: Reid Jensen, Burbank, S.D.
- Outstanding Service Awards for retiring board directors: Reid Jensen, Darrin Ihnen, Hurley, S.D.; Scott Sperry, Bath, S.D.; Brent Rames, Menno, S.D.; Jake Volkers, Brookings, S.D.; and Rob Nelson, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Legislative Appreciation Award: Sen. Tom Hansen, District 22, Huron, S.D.
- Excellence in Public Outreach Award: Jody Heemstra, KWAT radio Farm Broadcaster
- Excellence in Agriculture Award: Bob Metz, Browns Valley, S.D.
- Most Valuable Player in Agriculture Award: Dallas Tonsager, Farm Credit Administration board director, originally from Huron, S.D.
“The SDCGA Annual Meeting is designed to celebrate the successes of the South Dakota corn industry while recognizing the leaders who have made a difference in the SDCGA over the past years,” said Bill Chase, president of the SDCGA.
The SDCGA wrapped up their Annual Meeting with outstanding entertainment by Dean Torrence of the legendary duo Jan and Dean along with the Surf City AllStars, singing timeless hits including “Surf City”, “Drag City”, “Fun, Fun, Fun” and more!