Despite one of the most-challenging growing seasons ever, eight contestants in a contest sponsored by the South Dakota Corn Growers Association raised corn that yielded more than 270 bushels an acre.
For the second consecutive year, Scott McKee of Hawarden, Iowa had the highest yield in the contest at 291.82 bushels per acre on a South Dakota field near the Iowa border. State and district place winners in six categories will receive plaques.
Spring rains and flooding delayed planting throughout much of the state and prevented many fields from being planted at all. In addition, standing water, cool weather, hail and green snap took a toll on yields. Harvest was also delayed. The yield contest still drew a solid number of entries.
The South Dakota contest is held in conjunction with the National Corn Yield Contest, which is organized by the National Corn Growers Association and in its 55th year.
Here’s a list of South Dakota winners, including seed brand, hybrid and yield. For a list of district winners, visit www.sdcorn.org.
RANK/NAME/CITY BRAND/HYBRID YIELD
- Dean Bosse, Elk Point Pioneer/P1197AM 277.61
- Brian Hefty, Baltic Hefty Seed/H5812 274.44
- Ben LeBrun, Flandreau Channel/209-51VT2PRIB 270.54
- Scott McKee, Hawarden Pioneer/P1082AM 291.82
- Richard Arneson, Tulare Dekalb/DKC44-80RIB 217.43
- Garrett Masat, Redfield Dekalb/DKC50-09RIB 215.83
Strip, Minimum, Mulch, Ridge-Till Non-Irrigated
- Brennen Reid Bird, Elk Point Channel/213-19VT2P 277.68
- Brennen Reid Bird, Elk Point Channel/213-19VT2P 274.15
- Daryl Akland, Beresford Pioneer/P1366AM 244.88
- Jim Sheehan, Pierre Croplan Seed/4199VT2PRIB 168.39
Strip, Minimum, Mulch, Ridge-Till Irrigated
- Tyler & Jerry Poeschl, Yankton Pioneer/P1366AM 280.83
- John Yaggie, Yankton Pioneer/P1366AM 277.89
- Tom & Don Logue, Volin Pioneer/P0688AM 257.03
- Kory Standy, Platte Dekalb/DKC63-21RIB 239.39
- Adam Wiese, Flandreau Dekalb/DKC58-34RIB 219.37
|1st||277.68||Brennen Reid||Bird||Minimum-Till Non-Irrigated|
|2nd||274.15||Brennen Reid||Bird||Minimum-Till Non-Irrigated|
|1st||280.83||Tyler and Jerry||Poeschl||Minimum-Till Irrigated|
|1st||257.03||Tom & Don||Logue||Conventional Irrigated|