The South Dakota Corn Growers Association held their 24th Annual Meeting on Jan. 9, attracting over 1,000 ag producers, legislative leaders and allied industry to the daylong event.
Attendees took in advice for 2010 from thought leaders in marketing, future trends and energy security during seminars offered throughout the day. Rick Tolman, CEO of National Corn Growers Association addressed the crowd as the Luncheon speaker. The SDCGA set its legislative policy for the upcoming year during the resolution session at which new board directors were chosen and will officially take their positions in February.
During the evening banquet, Congressman Leonard Boswell, D-IA, Chairman of the General Farm Commodities and Risk Management Subcommittee delivered the keynote address. Also during the program, the following awards were given to individuals recognized by the SDCGA for their contributions to the industry over the past year:
• Retiring Presidential Award: Bill Chase, Wolsey, S.D.
• Outstanding Service Awards for retiring SDCGA board directors: Chad Blindauer, Mitchell, S.D.; Bill Chase, Wolsey, S.D.; Jason Kontz, Flandreau, S.D.; and James Krier, Herrick, S.D.; and retiring Industry Representatives Kyle Broughton of Canton, S.D. and Denny Everson of Yankton, S.D. Retiring from the South Dakota Corn Utilization Council (SDCUC) board were Keith Alverson, Chester, S.D.; and Francis Hass, Raymond, S.D.
• Legislative Appreciation Award: Rep. Tim Rave, District 25, Baltic, S.D.
• Excellence in Public Outreach Award: Greg Lamp, editor of the Corn and Soybean Digest.
• Excellence in Agriculture Award: Delton Strasser, Wilmot, S.D.
• Most Valuable Player in Agriculture Award: Denny Everson, First Dakota National Bank, Yankton, S.D.
“The SDCGA Annual Meeting is designed to celebrate the successes of the South Dakota corn industry while recognizing the leaders who have made a difference in the SDCGA over the past years,” said Bill Chase, president of the SDCGA.
The SDCGA wrapped up their Annual Meeting with outstanding entertainment by American English, considered the best Beatles Tribute Band by Beatles fans.