Sioux Falls, S.D. – The National Corn Growers Association (NCGA) announced the winners of their national and state corn yield contests. This is an opportunity for corn growers to compete with other farmers to grow the most corn per acre across multiple categories.
Out of the 157 entries in South Dakota here are the top three highlights. Brennen Reid Bird of Elk Point had the highest yield in the state with 310.69 bushels per acre using Pioneer P1185AM seed, conventional non-irrigated.
Darren Mosel of Chamberlain harvested 303.05 bushels per acre in the strip, min, mulch, ridge-till irrigated category with DEKALB DKC59-82RIB seed and Steve Breding of Chamberlain had a yield of 294.42 bushels per acre with Channel 213-19VT2PRIB hybrid in the no-till irrigated category.
“South Dakota corn farmers continue to push the yield curve,” South Dakota Corn Executive Director Lisa Richardson said. “It’s always exciting to see what corn farmers and mother nature do with technology advancement and rapidly changing farming techniques.”
The National Corn Yield Contest is in its 56th year and the program remains the most popular program for NCGA members across the country.
“The corn yield contest brings farmers together with friendly competition, while finding new and innovative ways to optimize our overall yields,” said Doug Noem, president of the South Dakota Corn Growers Association. “These innovations allow us to meet demands while creating future corn hybrids, not only in South Dakota, but across the country. Congratulations to all of our South Dakota farmers who placed in this year’s contest.”
Winners in South Dakota’s contest:
RANK/NAME/CITY BRAND HYBRID YIELD
- Brennen Reid Bird, Elk Point Pioneer P1185AM 310.69
- Harold Wipf, Scotland Pioneer P1366AM 273.76
- Jason Kokes, Tabor Pioneer P1366AM 270.38
- Scott McKee, Hawarden Pioneer P0507Q 272.83
- Dean Bosse, Elk Point Pioneer P1082AM 267.31
- Jeffery Fliehs, Groton Pioneer P9880AM 255.31
STRIP, MIN, MULCH, RIDGE-TILL NON-IRRIGATED
- Benji Obbink, Ireton Pioneer P1185AM 280.09
- Brian Hefty, Baltic Hefty Seed H5832 265.86
- Robert Holzwarth, Hazel Hefty Seed H4922 242.19
- Steve Breding, Chamberlain Channel 213-19VT2PRIB 294.42
STRIP, MIN, MULCH, RIDGE-TILL IRRIGATED
- Darren Mosel, Chamberlain DEKALB DKC59-82RIB 303.05
- Tyler and Jerry Poeschl, Yankton Pioneer P1366AM 278.92
- Scott and Tammy Slepikas, Huron Pioneer P0339Q 261.10
- Samuel Waldner, Huron Beck’s Hybrids 5699VT2P 281.06
- Kerry Hofer, Freeman Pioneer P1185AM 280.54
- Jarrod Hagena, Hurley Pioneer P1185AM 276.65
About SDCGA: South Dakota Corn Growers Association (SDCGA) serves as a powerful legislative voice for corn farmers in the state. This active commodity group collaborates to promote corn by influencing public policy, educating consumers, developing new corn markets, increasing corn usage and improving grower profitability. Details at sdcorn.org.